What are Wrinkles, Why Do They Occur?
As we age, our skin wrinkles because our epidermal cells become thinner and less “sticky.” When the cells become thinner, our skin looks noticeably thinner, and the decreased “stickiness” of the cells decreases the effectiveness of the barrier function, which allows moisture to be released instead of being kept in the skin. This is what causes dryness of the skin. Every decade, the number of epidermal cells decreases by about 10%, and they divide more slowly making the skin less able to repair itself quickly.
In addition to causing skin to be thinner, aging also affects the dermal layer by producing less collagen. The elastin fibers that provide elasticity wear out, and this causes the skin to wrinkle and sag. Our sebaceous (oil) glands get larger but produce less sebum and the number of sweat glands we have decreases.
Causes of Aging Include:
- Most of the signs of aging we face are caused by exposure to the sun’s UVA and UVB damaging rays.
- Hormonal changes also affect the quality of our skin. When women go through menopause, the amount of estrogen produced is decreased.
- Facial expressions can also cause the skin to wrinkle as it loses elasticity. When the tiny muscles around the eyes permanently contract, the result is frown lines and crows’ feet.
- Gravity is another factor related to aging. The effects of gravity make the loosening of the skin obvious causing “jowls” and drooping eyelids.
Effective Wrinkle Treatments
- Restylane® Silk
- Juvederm™ Ultra & Juvederm™ Ultra Plus
- Juvéderm® VOLUMA®
- Belotero Balance®
- Fraxel® Laser
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If you are losing the battle against aging, there are wrinkle treatment options available to you. Please contact one of our doctors at the Dermatology & Laser Surgery Center today to find out how you can fight the signs of aging.